This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

How Do I Install This Inot My project

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:28 PM
Hello, I'm just starting to use .NET MVC and would like to use Entity and access 2007 DBs so this looks great.

I'm from a LAMP background so this is all new to me.

How to I install this into my project?

I can't find a download.
Coordinator
Apr 21, 2015 at 7:05 AM
Hi, actually there is not a setup so you need to get the code and include it in your solution

When you have it in the solution you need to include it in all projects you use EF and add it in App.config (you can see the rows to add in the test/sample).
Apr 21, 2015 at 11:36 AM
Sorry - I'm new to this.

Which code to I actually need? I've browsed the source code but I'm not sure exactly what I need.

It sounds like its just the DLL but I can't see this.

Cheers,

Lee
Coordinator
Apr 21, 2015 at 4:50 PM
The project of the EF provider is JetEntityFrameworkProvider but if you download everything with git probably is the best thing.
Apr 23, 2015 at 9:44 AM
Any chance of a walkthrough for a newbie?

Otherwise I may have to wait for NuGet.
Apr 30, 2015 at 10:12 AM
Hello,

I've downloaded the source and have Built the project in Visual Studio.

Not sure where the DLL gets built but it may be :

Visual Studio 2012\Projects\JetEntityFrameworkProvider\obj\Debug

Does this sound correct?

If this is the file then how do I include it in my projects?
Apr 30, 2015 at 11:36 AM
Hello,

I'm sure I've got the DLL OK but I cannot run test project.

The DLL seems to be installed automatically and all looks fine.

I had a lot of issues with framework versions - test was 4 all else was 4.5.

I've upgraded test but still get this warning

'Warning 1 The primary reference "Microsoft.VisualStudio.Data.Framework, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, processorArchitecture=MSIL" could not be resolved because it was built against the ".NETFramework,Version=v4.5" framework. This is a higher version than the currently targeted framework ".NETFramework,Version=v4.0". JetDdexProvider
'

Also get this error on build :

Error 3 Error 175: The ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'JetEntityFrameworkProvider' is either not registered in the machine or application config file, or could not be loaded. See the inner exception for details. H:\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\EFJet\JetEntityFrameworkProvider.Test\School.edmx 7 7 JetEntityFrameworkProvider.Test
Coordinator
May 4, 2015 at 3:42 PM
Hi LeeDenny,

Sorry but the test was outdated.
There is a way to make the project work with edmx files (retrieved from another database because from Access actually the provider does not work) but with Entity Framework 6.1.2 should be revised.

Also, targetting Framework 4.5 you need also to change EF to 6.1.3 because MS moved some DataAnnotation attributes namespaces so FW4.5 conflicted with EF 6.1.2

I've just committed this changes to make the test (only CodeFirst) work fine with FW 4.5 e EF 6.1.3

Please, let me know if something still not work...
May 5, 2015 at 7:52 AM
Hope all is well.

I managed to get the compile DLL and started a new project in visual studio.

Its a MVC web application built on 4.5 framework

I installed the DLL as a reference - but I'm stuck after that.

I'm using this tutorial :

http://www.asp.net/mvc/overview/getting-started/introduction/getting-started

And I'm just trying to reference your test project to replace the db connection options.

I'm hoping you could just give me a few pointers in how to get your code working in this project.

Cheers,

Lee
Coordinator
May 7, 2015 at 9:48 AM
I don't know that tutorial but I think that to make the provider working with that project you need to
  1. Compile the provider with a strong name
  2. Insert the provider in the GAC
  3. Register the provider in the machine.config
  4. Insert parameters in web.config (like suggested in MVC project)
It is possible to do it and I've done it but it could takes some whiles to make it work.